Sunday 11 September 2011

Reflections

All in all, I have learnt that I need to include more veggie in my diet, and besides that, it is still rather healthy(in my humble opinion anyway). Initially, I was a little worried, as the carbohydrate and protein level were pretty low too, but then I saw the RDA for calories(2000), and for some reason, it is much higher than it ought to be. Although I don't know the RDA for the rest of the nutrients, but I know that my RDA for calories should be lower, in other words, the RDA for the other nutrients should follow suit and be lower too, since this set of RDA has probably been crafted for someone who requires more energy.

Note: Although my eating habits seem very weird and senseless, (haha, like myself) such as eating the same thing everyday, but this is because I check the nutrition label of everything I eat, because although some food items may have the words "low fat" on it, it can still be unhealthy with high cholestrol or transfat or high sodium or high sugar. Therefore, I find it easier to just compare all the brands of that food item once and for all in the supermarket and eat it every single day.
Note 2: The "not-eating-after-3pm-thing" was because I was fasting then, when I recorded my diet, so actually, on normal days, I do eat a light snack at about 5 or 6. This is also because I sleep very early, so if I eat dinner at 7, the unused energy will store up as fats, which is a terrible thought.

The suggested nutritional tools are useful, though there is still room for improvements. Although, I already have a rough idea of my diet before using the FIA, the test has also provided exact figures, which is very helpful. However, it is very annoying as I believe that the RDA they use is not very accurate. In my first post, I wrote that I found out that the RDA is based on more than just age. It is also based on job, activity level, etc... In other words, the reliability of the RDA is greatly reduced, as ultimately, it only serves as a guideline as everyone requires different amount of energy and nutrition. For example, I require more calcium than 1000mg, and most sources state the minimum as 1200mg, and since I still want to grow taller, it should be even more than that. Plus, I want to lose weight too, so I should not be consuming the number of calories as suggested.

Many iphone apps also provide the same services as the FIA, such as LIVESTRONG, or GoMeals, and personally, I find them a lot more userfriendly, as it requires a shorter time to record my diet and they have more variation. For example, when I entered "milk" the FIA returns results of more than 50 types of milk, however, they are all weird brands that cannot be found in Singapore, rather than the common Meiji, Magnolia, HL, etc...

My suggested one-dish meal is healthy(considering the fact that it is pizza). Pizza is like, known for being unhealthy, but I believe that after making the changes in the recipe, it is quite healthy. Afterall, its just baked dough(carbo)with mean(protein) and veggie(fibre) on it. I am proud to say that all the unhealthy stuff, like oil and salt and msg has been greatly reduced, especially msg, since it causes hair loss. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment